Welcome to the WGSC Home Page
Since its permanent establishment in 1989, the Women's and Gender Studies Consortium (WGSC) has made significant progress in strengthening ongoing activities and developing new initiatives in Women's Studies, while collaborating with other efforts to ensure excellence through diversity in the UW System.
Ongoing projects include:
- Thirty-five years of building a Wisconsin Women's Studies Learning Community through the annual Wisconsin Women's Studies Conference. For the last six years this conference has been offered in collaboration with the UW System Inclusivity Initiative for LGBTQ People and their allies.
- Over twenty years of leading the effort to raise the profile and expand the resources devoted to Women's Studies programs, certification, scholarship. teaching , and curriculum in the UW System.
- Over twenty years of contributing to the UW System Regents Policy
against discrimination (14-3 Equal Opportunities in Education: Elimination of Discrimination Based on Gender) which includes in its Guidelines for Implementation that "in its role of shaping educational policy, the faculty of each institution/unit is encouraged to:
- give support to women's studies courses,
- recruit faculty with an interest in women's studies,
- support research in women's studies,
- integrate the results of women's studies research into existing curricula, and,
- evaluate and recommend for purchase library holdings,
including periodical literature, books, and other instructional
materials, in the area of women's studies."
Helen Klebesadel, Director
Women's and Gender Studies Consortium
University of Wisconsin
3315 Sterling Hall
375 North Charter Street
Madison, WI 53706
Contact the Women's and Gender Studies Consortium Office, (608) 262-3056 or WSCOffice@uwsa.edu